Friday, December 2, 2011

What it's like to volunteer - from one of our volunteers!

Across the state, VIP Fellows will recruit over 15,000 volunteers.  That's a big number... but what does that mean?  What do they do?  What is it like?  Why would someone volunteer?  It's difficult to grasp the impact of volunteering from a number on its own.

To give some more context, here is a picture of what volunteering is like for Blake Caropino, a volunteer at the VIP partner site Boys & Girls Club of Monterey County.

"I have been volunteering at the Boys & Girls Club in Seaside, California for about a month now and thanks to my AmeriCorps VIP, Joseph Garcia, I was able to quickly start leading activities with the children at the club.  

It has allowed me to become a positive role model and rapidly become a new member of an already awesome community. In my short time at the club I have become an integral part in ensuring youth served are having a great experience in every activity I run with them. I am quickly learning that I am not only helping other members of the community grow but, that I am also gaining personal growth as well. This has been a fulfilling experience that I wish everyone would want to be a part of at some point in their life."

Thank you to Blake and all of our volunteers for sharing yourselves with our programs!   Your service makes a real difference in your community, and we hope that it makes a difference in your life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment