Thursday, June 7, 2012

Inspiration Thursday: Encouraging volunteer story from OC Food Access


"I came to a harvest at a time when I needed a community to reach out to me.  I was struggling with a long term illness, and was feeling very alone.  The prospect of fresh fruit and companionship pulled me out of bed and energized me enough to make some connections.  I was captured by the friendliness and excitement of the other volunteers.  Sampling the produce was also exciting.  I had never had an orange picked directly from the tree before.  The flavor and quality of a freshly picked orange blasted all of my expectations about what citrus should taste like.  It was a small healing moment for me.  I was so happy to be sending something so amazing to people who really needed a boost.  I could relate in that moment.

As time went on, and I had the opportunity to not only pick the fruit, but deliver it, recruit other volunteers, and get deeper into the Harvest Club community, I came to love it more and more.  I was able to talk with growers about their trees, some with long history.  I saw just how many oranges would go to waste if we hadn't picked them.  I witnessed the joy it brought to people who received the produce.  And I got excited about finding new and better ways to serve this community.  I definitely look forward to being involved with this group for years to come.

"

-Sarah Vay Kerns (Volunteer from OC Food Access)

No comments:

Post a Comment