Friday, January 11, 2013

New Years Resolutions: VIP Style

By Alex Rowan, AmeriCorps VIP Local Leader at CalSERVES

The CalSERVES VIPs in Santa Rosa have a lot to look forward to as we enter the New Year.  2013 looks like it will bring tremendous growth for our VIPs, who will make a lasting impact on their organizations.  Here is what some of our VIPs are looking forward to:

Heather Seney, VIP Fellow at the Sonoma County Family YMCA, says, “I look forward to continue recruiting volunteers for the Y’s programs, while establishing partnerships in the community. I am also helping launch a college prep program for high school freshmen, Your Path Your Way. I am eager for the spring, when I plan to get my hands in the dirt and garden with Y kids. This will be a fantastic opportunity for me to talk with kids about something I’m very passionate about.  With 2013 in full swing, I anticipate the remainder of our VIP service term to be the best stretch yet!”

Briana Keating, VIP Fellow at Catholic Charities, says, “I have a lot of exciting new projects for 2013.  For starters, the inaugural edition of a Catholic Charities Volunteer Newsletter will be sent out this month. But, what I am most looking forward to is getting volunteers into new positions at our adult-emergency shelter who can implement a Friday Game Night, lead a library revamp project, and develop healthy living activity classes. I have high ambitions for the rest of my term as a VIP, and I am excited to take on the challenge of implementing all these new projects and am eager to see what 2013 has in store for us!”

Meghan Schuttler, the VIP for the CalSERVES Office, “looks forward to the bright and eager volunteer faces that will soon fill our office and school sites. From training and mentoring, to agreeing on education goals and surpassing them, 2013 will be full of challenges and new beginnings. Another project I am excited to help create is our Volunteer Roundtable, which will offer helpful professional skills that our volunteers can take with them even after their service. 2013 will be a great year of ongoing creation, innovation and education!”

One of Extended Child Care's dedicated volunteers!
Sydney Tanimoto, one of the VIPs at Extended Child Care, is “excited for this new year and the opportunity to continue building sustainability at ECC.  One project I am especially excited about is creating an internship position for a volunteer coordinator to keep the volunteer program running smoothly after our term is up.   This will take time and work but I believe it will be a great benefit to the organization.”
 
Cody Cibart, Statewide VIP Leader, says, “My resolution for the new year is to provide more leadership development opportunities for VIP Leaders around the state. As a volunteer coordinator, I hope to transfer skills to my sites that will result in sustainable volunteer retention techniques without the assistance of a VIP. With determination, hard-work, and collaboration with some very important people, 2013 looks to be a great year!”

2013 will be an amazing year for the Santa Rosa VIP Team.  I’m excited to see them build upon the accomplishments, and overcome the exciting challenges ahead.  I hope VIP Fellows at programs across the state are as excited as we are about the opportunities that 2013 is sure to bring. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment