Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Looking Back Over the Year - Make a Difference Day 2010

As the year starts to wrap up, we can see the incredible difference VIP Fellows have made across the state by mobilizing volunteers.  The following is a reflection from a volunteer at Make a Difference Day, one of the National Days of Service, at CSU Monterey Bay.  This piece appeared in the university's Illuminator publication in November.


-----

 What a Difference We Made...
     Actually, that’s incorrect.  I didn’t do anything except take pictures and watch.  But I feel lucky enough to have witnessed one of the largest collaborative gatherings of CSUMB students for a cause in a long time.  The occasion?  Make A Difference Day 2010.  As I watched Soledad St. in Salinas transform that day, I saw about 50 student volunteers from Out & About, W.H.A.A.T, Return of the Natives, Service Learning Institute, several fraternities & sororities and many other student organizations working hard together in a way I have never seen, at least at CSUMB.
                                 I may have not had a chance to get my hands dirty (even though in hindsight I wish I had!), but I did see that when people come together for a good cause, magic can happen.  When I arrived, it was dreary, the street was dirty and the overcast sky blotted out any light, but as the day unfolded and the sun emerged I discovered a healthy community thriving on good vibes and collaborative action.
     I saw artists painting raised garden beds with children.  I saw the students hand fresh fruit to the homeless.  I saw an entire block littered with garbage be transformed into a beautiful street full of life and activity.  I saw a band perform a free show for anyone to hear.  I saw donations being given to the non-profits organizing the event.  I saw a weedy and empty lot become clean and traversable again.  I saw smiles.  I hear laughter and music.  I smelled sunflowers and fresh vegetables being harvested.  I tasted fresh fruit given freely for all to share.  I felt amazed; the progress made in such a short time! 
     When people organize for humanitarian projects, wonderful things happen.  Having witnessed a beautiful coming together of many people from many different cultures, backgrounds, and ages, I can’t help but to wonder about what is still possible.  The CSUMB community may be mostly young and transitory, but Make A Difference Day 2010 gave me a good feeling about what we can accomplish if we really put our minds (and hands!) to it.  I wonder what we will set our sights upon next.
               I learned that if we truly commit, and we are willing to get our hands dirty… 
we really CAN make a difference.

by Joshua Reed-Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment