Thursday, June 2, 2011

Volunteer Vision: A story from CalSERVES After School


We love our volunteers.  They are the best resources in our program, and they make a huge difference in nonprofits around the state.  They not only allow organizations to make a bigger impact, but they themselves are often changed through the service they so generously offer. 

The following is a statement from Verenice Chavez, a volunteer at the CalSERVES after school program at Taylor Mountain Elementary School in Santa Rosa, CA.  Verenice was recruited by VIP Fellow Richelle Andrae.

"My experience with CalSERVES has very much impacted my life in a positive way. When I started to volunteer, my objective was to be updated on both my sisters who attend the program.  I also attended the program when I was in elementary.

As time passed by, I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with a third grade class at Taylor Mountain. Being in that classroom twice a week helping out the mentors, I had one on one time with the kids and I realized most of them didn't have the resources CalSERVES offered. Those kids are very talented and with the little push we give them they will go a long way. They may not show they have been impacted, but if you see the changes from the beginning of the year till now, it has shown they have grown in many aspects. I know I wanted to help kids as a career choice.  This experience made me comprehend that I want to be more than just a teacher, but a mentor too. I never would have thought those kids would have so much to learn from. They may be small but they sure know what they are talking about. There's not a day where I don't remember them, all of them I shared moments with, and their ways of being."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how the children taught you so much, and positively impacted you life.

    ReplyDelete