Friday, January 6, 2012

From a Volunteer: Reading with KorehLA has long-term impact

Every Thursday I looked forward to the sound of Marshale, my KOREH L.A. reading partner, sprinting down the hallway of her school to greet me at 1:00PM in the front office of Crescent Heights Elementary School. Each time, Marshale welcomed me with a hug. Then, she’d giggle, bury her face in her hands and lead me to the library. Together, we’d sit side-by side on the floor of her library’s reading corner.


Each session, Marshale  chose  a book from her library’s shelves to read together that day. Most often it was an “Amelia Bedelia” book. From time to time, I’d bring a special book from home that I thought would interest her. Her favorite book from my collection was Queen Rania’s “The Sandwich Swap."


During one session, Marshale took out her cell phone from her backpack (when the librarian was not around) and asked me if she could take my picture. She wanted to program my picture into her phone. She asked for my phone number, too. That same night, she called. While I heard mostly giggles on the other end of the phone, it simply warmed my heart to know that she really had no reason to call, except that it was her way of reaching out to me.


Back at school, Marshale began to enjoy reading. I could see it in her eyes. Her confidence was building, too.


Not only did Marshale learn from me, but I learned from her. She taught me how to do a dance called the “dougie”. She told me I “dougied” better than her mom.


 In May, I got a call from Marshale’s mom with the news that her family was moving. Marshale would be changing schools mid-year. An instant sadness came over me, but I soon realized that I was just thankful to have been able to spend the time that I had with her. Our last session came sooner than we had both expected, or wanted. During this time, I gifted her with my copy of “The Sandwich Swap.”


Just this fall, I received a homemade book in the mail from Marshale. She had created and illustrated a book about prepositions at her new school. Each page highlights a particular preposition and has a phrase that demonstrates its proper usage. Sweet illustrations accompany each page. The first page, for example, highlights “Outside” and says “The Ball is Outside” while the second page highlights “Around” and says “Around the flower there were puddles.”


When I called to thank Marshale for the book, she could not wait to tell me that she had just received her first report card. She proudly informed me that she was getting an “A” in reading at her new school! Marshale will always have a very special place in my heart. I trust that I will be lifelong friends with Marshale, and my wish for her is that as she matures into a young woman, to always remember her newly acquired love for reading.  



No comments:

Post a Comment